An older colleague of mine asked for a happy hour drink and I said yes, despite my suspicions that this was not necessarily going to focus on work chat. He proceeded to regale me with the following stories and tidbits:
- He talked about his football start days and all the partying he did back in the day.
- He told me about the time he had the opportunity to cheat on his wife but didn’t (what a swell guy!)
- He mentioned he was one of the most successful businessmen in his field and wasn’t retiring yet because the company desperately needed him.
- He mentioned his travels all around the world.
- He said he was into middle eastern women…
Meanwhile, I did not speak for almost 2 hours, besides the occasional “mmhmm” and “yeah.” Word of advice to all you men out there (and women too for that matter), ask a lady a question now and then. It goes a long way. Engage in a conversation. I am not a Barbie doll who is sitting there to look pretty and have a vapid look on my face while you wax poetic about the good old days. DON’T BE A STEREOTYPE. It’s not that hard…